October 4, 2010

Watched the Movie? Now it's time to read the book: V for Vendetta

Half way through reading the comic book "V for Vendetta" by Alan Moore and David Lloyd, I wanted to review the book. However, the book has been out for some time and even has a major motion picture based off of it. After thinking about this situation for some time, I decided that I'll be writing a series of book reviews in a little different approach than I would usually do. The title alone should explain what I'll be doing here. The pretty big movies that everyone has watched have left people happy and content. The purpose of these reviews are to convince people to read the great books that had inspired their great films.

I got so excited about this concept that I haven't even finished reading V for Vendetta when I started this article. But I forced myself to finish the graphic novel in order to fully review this book. Here goes nothing.

I will talk about the first thing that catches the eyes of readers of graphic novel readers: the art. I think it's fantastic. I love the colors and the noir style of the deep shadows in each panel. When a character is scared, mad, or in anguish, you were convinced that they were experiencing such moods. The characters and setting seemed as alive as you and me.

The writing is wonderful as well. I am a huge Alan Moore fan, and you should be too. Every character definitely has their own personality and their speech demonstrates this fully.

I liked the idea of the government and the chaos that this comic book describes. The Head, Finger, Eyes, Nose, etc had different jobs and shows the face of fascism. 

If you read this comic, be careful with the characters. This book follows more people and can easily be mixed up with characters from the movie. That was my mistake. I can go as far as to say that some (especially the male characters) can look quite a lot alike with each other.

The publishers price for this comic book is $19.99 and is worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment